This course involves both theory and actual hand on kitchen lab and culinary work experience. The program includes an industry-driven curriculum to teach, test and award industry-recognized certificates to students meeting high standards in food service and restaurant education. Diploma in Global Culinary Arts is a twelve months program accredited by Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA).
By integrating classroom learning with on the job experiences, Diploma in Global Culinary Arts provides students with opportunities to learn and practice important skills related to leadership and responsibilities of the chefs. These skill sets serve as a foundation to professional, trained, and educated employees. It is a school-to-career path for the people interested in the Hotel, Restaurant or any Food service industry.
Eligibility for Admission
The candidates applying for admission in Scottish Diploma in Global Culinary Arts (Scottish DGCA) must have successfully passed SEE (Class 10) examination.
The admission for DGCA opens two times in a year.
1st Intake : June / July
2nd Intake: Nov / Dec
* Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
* Demonstrate basic knife skills, hand tools and equipment operation, emphasizing proper safety.
* Demonstrate good communication skills, good personal hygiene and health habits.
* Preform safe food handling and sanitation procedures, Identify and use utensils, pots and pans, and demonstrate sage practices operating stove, mixers, blenders, ovens, etc.
* Perform basic Culinary Math and its application to the food service industry.
The students will be eligible to enter the hospitality industry in base line and further elevate to the top level managers. Upon successful completion of the course students will be able
* to work independently in the hospitality industry with specialized knowledge on core department of a hotel / Restaurant Kitchen
* to open of restaurant, fast food centers, specialty food service counters, etc
* to continue further study in advance diploma in hospitality management in Sindhuli College of Hotel Management (SCHM).
Diploma in Global Culinary Arts Program is divided into five main components; the business course, care course, optional course, industrial visit, report writing and internship.
* Business Courses: Business Courses are designed to provide students with background knowledge on the basic of the hospitality industry. This composition consists of two major components: English for Culinary Arts and Material Management.
* Core Courses: Core courses are designed on the functional areas of hospitality operation. It includes, Kitchen Administration and Food Production, Fundamentals of Food and Beverage Services, Food Science and Hygiene, Principles of Vegetable and Ice Carving and Fundamentals of Kitchen Stewarding.
* Optional Courses: the students have a choice of honing their creative skills by learning the expertise of ice and vegetable carving or familiarizing themselves on the running of kitchen stewarding department. The courses are designed to provide additional knowledge and skills within the kitchen brigade.
* Industry Visit and Project Work: Project work is designed for the students to five an observationary frame work of the study. Students are required to visit hospitality industry to observe the operational aspects of running of a full-fledged main kitchen, patisserie, grade manger, and satellite and banquet kitchen and submit a report as per the format prescribed by LCCI Nepal and SQA. It could be of duration from 2-3 days to one week. Observation project work could be in any Hotel, Restaurant or a Resort. It should be in a complete operational set up.
* Internship and Report writing: Internship is of 6 months in any Star Hotel or Resort property in Nepal or abroad as per the availability. This is very important part of the course as this will bridge the gap between the theoretical input and the real working environment. Emphasis is laid on a hands on approach to successfully damage the various types of Kitchen.
Culinary Arts Practical Detail:
Total 1600 Hrs Practical exposure in the center and Industry with probability of converting it into a Job.
Course Duration: The total course duration is 6 months in center and 6 months internship. Value Added Course: Every student is required to attain 15 hours “Skills for Employment”, training program which is additionally developed to inculcate the interpersonal skills to increase the employability capabilities in an individual.